Temple Guardians have an Innovative Approach to Governance
The Temple Guardians operate as a Holacracy, an innovative method of decentralized management and organizational governance. Under Holacracy, we distribute authority and decision-making through self-organizing and self-governing teams called circles. The rules of the game (authority, structure, decision making, governance) are defined in a constitution.
Holacracy distributes power through a hierarchy of circles within circles (referred to as nested circles or a “holarchy”). Each circle has a defined set of roles whose purpose and accountabilities are identified in the constitution and define the ongoing activities needed to manage the Guardians’ work.
Our structure and governance is transparent and always available to view here.
How are the Temple Guardians Organized as a Holacracy
The outermost circle is the Council: Chosen by the existing year-round volunteers through a consensus decision-making process defined in the Holacracy constitution.
- Purpose of the organization per the constitution: The space of the Burning Man Temple is available and safe
- Cherub has been appointed Temple Guardian Leader
- Deputy Leader
- Purpose: The future leadership of the Temple Guardians is secured.
- Captain has been appointed Temple Guardian Deputy Leader
- Emeritus Leader
- Purpose: Temple Guardians remain true to its mission over the long-term
- This role is currently open.
- On-Playa Circle Leader
- Purpose: Temple Guardian operations run smoothly on playa.
- Tophat has been appointed On-Playa Circle Leader
- Off-Playa Circle Leader
- Purpose: Temple Guardian operations run smoothly off playa, and we are set up well for our work on playa.
- Spanks has been appointed Off-Playa Circle Leader
- Community Circle Leader
- Purpose: Temple Guardians are a healthy community and are prepared to serve.
- Katrina has been appointed Community Circle Leader.
In addition, there are three Council members that are selected as representatives from each operating circle. Members of each circle select these roles to represent their circle on the Council.
- On-Playa Circle Representative
- Kahuna has been appointed On-Playa Circle Rep
- Off-Playa Circle Representative
- Tomas has been appointed Off-Playa Circle Rep
- Community Circle Representative
- Wizard has been appointed Community Circle Rep
Each circle may also have a Facilitator and Secretary.